Date Posted: 24 April 2019
HOMEMADE ANTI-MOULD SPRAY AND SANITIZER
HOW TO GET RID OF MOULD NATURALLY - WITHOUT USING BLEACH!
Did you find some mould during your Spring cleaning and wonder how to get rid of it without using any toxic substance as bleach?
This DIY anti-mould spray is your safe and natural solution!
According to NHS mould, a type of fungus, is very common in homes and buildings where there is an excess of moisture.
Moisture in buildings can be caused by leaking pipes, rising damp in basements or ground floors, or rain seeping in because of damage to the roof or around window frames. Mould flourishes in warm, moist environments, which is why it’s often found in basements and bathrooms.
If you have damp and mould in your home, you're more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. They can cause a wide range of health problems, some of which are serious, and also affect the immune system in more sensitive people.
Usually, most of the homes have just small amounts of mould, especially in bathrooms. It’s important to clean the mould as soon as possible before it becomes a serious problem - if you have severe mould issues, the best advice is to contact a licensed professional.
Bleach is not a safe solution for getting rid of mould, and mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous and toxic fumes.
Luckily, this DIY anti-mould spray can help to combat surface mould buildup and clean surface mould. It’s also great to use as a sanitizer and as a stain pre-treat spray.
This spray is the PERFECT SUBSTITUTE for the multi-purpose bleach spray, but greener, biodegradable and without any toxic ingredients.
300 ml Hydrogen Peroxide 12% (43 vol approx)
200 ml water (better if distilled)
20 gr BIO washing-up liquid
15 gr Citric Acid
HOW TO PREPARE:
Pour the Hydrogen Peroxide directly in a spray bottle, then add the water and the citric acid. Shake the mixture and allow the citric acid to dissolve. Then add the washing up liquid.
KEEP COOL AND DARK.
HOW TO USE:
ALWAYS HANDLE WITH GLOVES.
This spray is perfect for removing mould from walls - use an old toothbrush for the grout lines.
Take a clean cloth to wipe away any remaining mould and cleaning liquid. Repeat this process as needed, until all the mould has been completely removed.
Make sure that the area is well-ventilated while you’re cleaning and don’t stay in the room while the solutions sit on the mould. A good tip is to wear a mask in order to avoid inhaling any of the mould spores.
I also use this spray as a surface sanitizer, for cleaning the toilet seat or the cat litter tray, for example. If you utilise it to pretreat stains like grass or coffee, or get rid of underarm sweat stains and ring around the collar on white clothes, be careful with coloured and darks as peroxide can bleach them.
DO NOT USE ON MARBLE, COPPER OR BRASS as it contains citric acid.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS:
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE - H2O2 - is the simplest peroxide (a compound with an oxygen-oxygen single bond). It is nothing more than oxygen and water combined in a unique ratio to form a germicidal liquid. It is used as an oxidiser, bleaching agent and antiseptic.
SHOULD BE ALWAYS HANDLED WITH GLOVES.
KEEP COOL AND DARK.
CITRIC ACID - C6H8O7 - occurs naturally in citrus fruits and is widely used as an acidity regulator, flavouring and preservative in food and drinks. It can also replace many of our domestic cleaning products. It is, in fact, a viable alternative to limescale remover, dishwasher rinse-aid, fabric softener and even conditioner for your hair.
In this recipe, it helps to preserve the solution, and it works as limescale remover.
WASHING-UP liquid (BIO based) is really important for making our recipe as it will help us to clean essential and to achieve effective results.
After you remove the mould, it's essential to identify the moisture source. Otherwise, the mould will just keep returning.
To reduce moisture in your home:
- Buy a dehumidifier to dry out dampness, especially during humid months.
- Make sure to always turn your vent fan on when you take a shower.
- If you have a water leak, fix it immediately.
- Be sure the home has adequate ventilation in high humidity areas.
- Regularly cleaning your home, especially damp areas prone to moisture, like the bathroom and basement.
- And the most important thing ... open your windows and let the light in! Sunshine helps dry out moisture!
You can find citric acid in our shop.
You can find more DIY recipes in my book.